Video stutter

Hi,
I'm experimenting some irregular and bothering stutter of videos while playing some of them in the following situation (and it's really annoying because it is displayed on 7m high...):
Setup:
- Apple Pro Res 50p (I know this is bad but that's the way the entire hour of video for that opera is done)
- Millumin v1.63 // 64 bits
- Apple MacbookPro Retina 2012 // 8Go RAM // 256 Go SSD // Nvidia GT650M
- OS X El Capitan (I know that it's also bad...)
- Barco 20k projector

Content:
The video is full of horizontal and vertical slow travelling (like a lift inside a building)
All of them (53 videos) are set on different layer in the dashboard and freeze at the end in order to trig seamlessly with the next one.

Issues:
Most of the time, the video stutter slightly (but it's noticeable on that size of projection) but sometime it plays smoothly!!

What I have noticed:
- The problem is solved if the video is set in a composition at 0:01 and if we play from the beginning. The issue come back if I play directly at the start of the clip (like it is also in the dashboard)
- It's not happening with Qlab, QuickTime Player, Modul8...
- The FPS info displays 50fps with no drop.

What I have tested:
- Other codecs, other framerate: the same problem
- 32 bits: it plays better but the jumping from a cue to the next one is displaying a short black image...

Unfortunately the show is on monday and I would prefer to play it on Millumin than transposing everything in another software...

Any help would be useful.

Thanks.

Benoit.

Comments

• Hello @benoitsimon,

Could you send us your MILLU project at contact@millumin.com (with a short video sample video va WeTransfert if possible) ? Thank you.

Some questions :
    - What is your global resolution ?
    - Do you use composition in your dashboard ?
    - Do you change the start-point for your movies ?
    - What recommandations are displayed when you hit the "Optimize" button ?
    - Did you try with an empty project, and only one video ?

Of course, if there is an emergency, the best way is to contact our support directly.
    Best. Philippe
  • edited November 2015
    Hello Philippe,

I will send you the project asap.

Some questions :
    - What is your global resolution ?
    1920 x 1200

- Do you use composition in your dashboard ?
    No

- Do you change the start-point for your movies ?
    For eight of them

- What recommandations are displayed when you hit the "Optimize" button ?
    Codec and start-points.

- Did you try with an empty project, and only one video ?
    Yes and it's not working better

Of course, if there is an emergency, the best way is to contact our support directly.
    I know... Thank you!
  • Ok, we're digging this issue.
    It seems to be related to 50fps and El Capitan. We'll update this thread regarding this problem.
  • Any news on this issue? I have a similar problem since last week. Everything was working fine, but suddenly imported files are stuttering, even though the FPS display says something between 55 and 60 fps. It plays very slowly, feels like 10fps. Also the sound is stuttering. Video streams via Syphon, e.g. from After Effects work fine. Running Millumin2 on MacOSX Sierra...
  • Hello @nika,

What is your version of Millumin ?
    Are you sure there is no application sending OSC to Millumin ? (such as MilluPlug, or uncheck "API feedback" from Millumin's device-panel)

Best. Philippe
  • Hi Philippe, 

you're right, it started to happen since I tested around with the TouchOSC app and MilluPlug a little, I had API feedback checked. However, the problem does not occur any more, even though I am not sure why and I can't remember if I changed anything. 
  • Hello @nika,

Your phenomenom very looks like that there was an "OSC loop" :
    - when the movie is playing, OSC messages about its progresses are sent
    - one application could have receive them
    - then sending back the same OSC messages to Millumin
    - so the movie is progressing quite strangely

We added a protection against such cases in lastest Millumin release.
    Best. Philippe