Blackmagic SDI video capture cards tests and delay results

edited September 9 in MAIN

Hi everybody,


I made some processing delay testings using Millumin 2 and several Blackmagic SDI capture cards. 


Setup for testings was:


MacbookPro 15 inch, 2016 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 - MacOS Sierra 10.12.6


Decklink Duo inside a Sonnet Echo Express SE I Thunderbolt 3 version


Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder


Blackmagic UltraStudio 3D with a Thunderbolt 1 to Thunderbolt 3 apple adapter


Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k connected through SDI 1080p 30 FPS


At the top of images, FPS are displayed using an iPad with ANIMTIME FPS app to use same FPS as camera, and at the bottom the results through Millumin 2.


(For testings using the camera connected through thunderbolt, I was not able to use 30 FPS, so I changed it to 29.97 FPS)


Please see attached file for results.


RESULTS (PDF File)


All the best,


Philippe A.



Delay Testings.jpg
9924 x 16346 - 7M
Delay Testings.jpg
3543 x 7319 - 1M
Delay Testings.jpg
3543 x 7319 - 1M
Delay Testings.png
3543 x 7319 - 5M
Delay Testings.jpg
1772 x 3660 - 1M

Comments

  • Hello @philamand,

    Thank you for sharing your results. So from what I understand the delay is quite the same for all configuration : around 85ms.
    Also, you have to keep in mind that to project such a video, at least one frame of delay would be added : so the total latency would be around 100ms (because projectors usually work at 60fps, not 30fps).

    We didn't test yet, but the results with the NDI/Spark could be better. I guess this is an interesting road to diminish latency.

    Best. Philippe
  • Hello Philippe,

    Thank you for the info on Spark. After reading about that new product, I've decided to buy an NDI HX - PTZOPTICS Camera. As soon as I get it, I will post new tests using NDI directly from the camera. It looks promising.

    Best. Philippe A.
Sign In or Register to comment.