Dynamic text

Hello,
after having read this page :
I tried to use Chataigne (great tool) :
to send an OSC message to Millumin in order to display texts

I used the message "/myLayer/currentMedia/fullText" to update the text without success.
in Chataigne I add a string argument (the text to disply) to this message but not working.

Any advice ?
Thanks

Comments

• Hello,

Are you sure that the name of your layer is : "MyLayer" ?

Good luck
  • Hello @Alain,

Be sure to use the latest beta : this is a really new feature.
    However, the beta will be soon launched as the official version.

If the problem persists, try with the example we provided in the tutorial (Processing).

Best. Philippe
  • Hello,
    I tested with Millumin 3,12,o and it's working with Chataigne like this :

- In Chataigne custom message "/Layer/currentMedia/fullText" and a string argument with the text to display
    - as Manouche35 suggests, the layer name must obviously be the same in the message and in Millumin

Next step :
    It would be nice to set others parameters (like font size, font, alignement, line spacing...) this way (OSC and Chataigne) too !

How to find their OSC adresses ?

Thanks !
  • Hello @Alain,

You can control more parameters :
    - /layer/currentMedia/fontSize
    - /layer/currentMedia/alignment
    - /layer/currentMedia/lineSpacing

More info on OSC documentation.
    The font-name cannot be changed via OSC.

Best. Philippe
  • Thanks,
    I will test this asap.
  • Hello,

I use the osc command in mill with success from Chataigne,

But, if the text had a particular form (like é, è, ë...), the text don't appear on millumin.

So, what is the format use for texte in millumin ?

Thanks ! (and sorry for the bad English I'm French...)

• Hello @Cornehu,

According to OSC specifications, strings must be ASCII characters : so you cannot use é, è, ... with OSC. Sorry.

The solution may be to write in a file (instead of using OSC). See tutorial in the first message.

Best. Philippe

• Hello !

Thx for the answer, but, according to your tutorial, millumin check the textfile every 2 sec...

How to make this method faster ?

• Hello @Cornehu,

Sorry, it's not possible.

I do not know what you want to do, but if you need surtitles , Glypheo may be useful.

Best. Philippe

• Hello,

Next question !

Is it possible to send a newline with an osc command?

I would like to send an array consisting of several strings one below the other, all in a single millumin text element.

Thank you in advance !

• Hello @Cornehu,

Yes, you can add a special "return" char (usually noted \r) or "new line" char (usually noted \n) to break a line.

If you use an OSC application with a field to enter the string (such as OSCTestApp), you need to press OPTION+ENTER to break a line.

Best. Philippe