Import video with alpha

Using my VFX sw HitFilm Pro I can create some effects, that can be exported in .png sequence or .avi with alpha channel.

I can't find a way to import them in Millumin v1, since AVI is not well supported, and I didn't find a Windows sw (other than Premier or other pro editor I didn't own) able to convert to ProPres-4444.

I'm testing Davinci Resolve 12.5, able to export my images sequence into QuickTime DNxHD 444 format, any chance this will work? Any other option?

Comments

• Hello @davide445,

Is your movie playable by Quicktime X ?
    Is your software HitFilm Pro (available on Mac) able to export your movie as a MOV file (instead of an AVI file) ?
    Did you try to convert your file with AVF Batch Converter ?

Best. Philippe
  • edited May 2017
    Hello
    no it isn't playable, even I tried to encode in ProPres 422 using FFMpeg.
    HitFilm is capable to export with alpha only as png sequence or AVI.
    Interesting about the HAP codec, reading the documentation I did't understand if will be possible to transcode png sequence into HAP Alpha.
  • Hello @davide445,

If your movie cannot be converted by FFMpeg, this is very strange. Did you try to convert to "Animation" codec (also preserving alpha).
    Anyway, please send us a small sample of your "PNG sequence" to our support (email contact/millumin). We'll study your file.

Best. Philippe
  • I can convert the movie only in ProRes 422, can't find a way to convert into ProRes-4444.
    Maybe I was using the wrong workflow and didn't find the right settings, didn't have experience working with FFmpeg and tested the myFFmpeg GUI for the first time.
    I've sent you the file with the image sequence.
  • edited May 2017
    Hello @davide445,

We received your ZIP file : now I understand.
    You have a sequence of PNG files, not a movie file encoded with the "PNG" codec.

To convert your PNG files into a ProRes-4444 movie :
    - download FFMpeg here
    - place "ffmpeg" executable inside the folder containing your PNG files
    - open a Terminal inside the folder containing your PNG files
    - enter the following command : ./ffmpeg -r 60 -f image2 -s 1920x1080 -i image%03.png -codec prores_ks -pix_fmt yuva444p10le -alpha_bits 16 -profile:v 4444 -f mov MyMovie.mov
    - "MyMovie.mov" file will be created accordingly

Alternatively, you could use Photoshop to import your PNG sequence, see this tutorial.
    Best. Philippe
  • edited May 2017
    Hi Philippe sorry for the confusion I supposed was clear but my fault.

I successfully converted the image sequence to ProRes-4444 on my PC that's much more powerful than the MBP using the same without the initial ./ and with image%03d instead of %03.

I suppose will so work on Millumin, can't have a test since in fact the license expired today some hours ago, but no problem now I know the procedure, thanks!