Reorder Canvas in Millumin2

edited November 2016 in MAIN
Hi, on a project I use 5 different canvas. Is there an easy way to reorder them without having to recreate everything in the right order ;)
Like in this example, a way to display the canvas 1 between the number 2 & 3.
Thanks !

Comments

• Reordering canvas,  being able to add or subtract distance between canvas and to be able to work on a group of canvases in timeline mode would be incredibily helpful...  

• Hello hyll,

We're working on it, and it could come in the next beta phase (so outside official update channel). No guarantee, but we hope so.

@Trigg : feel free to create these 2 ideas on Uservoice, since it helps us to keep track of user requests, and see their popularity.

Best. Philippe
  • edited December 2016
    Hi Philippe,

reordering, being able to add or subtract distances between canvases would be one of the best ideas of the last few months what Trigg mentioned.
    Changing the canvases in the X and Y coordinates would probably bring the whole to one point.

One member of the Vuo community had made a interesting project, which would also be madeable with Millumin.
    I'm just thinking about how to do this with Millumin and here Trigg's thought would be very helpful.
    For that example i would use three Datapath FX4 here and assign the outputs the different canvases directly to the outputs of the FX4.
    We would be capable to position the canvases in a vertical and not just in a horizontal position if we want to make different stage sets.

kind regards

CitizenCaine

• Hello @CitizenCaine,

The best way, for this kind of installation, is to create a big canvas, then use advanced-layout to dispose your output accross your content. Once this setup done, you can keep focused on the content.
    I wouldn't recommand to create 12 differents canvases.

Best. Philippe
  • edited December 2016
    Ohhhh yes, many thanks for that tip, Philippe. How easy it is.

An "on and off" switch for the assigned screen-contours in the right mapping menu would be fantastic on the main working window.
    In the moment you have to turn on the test image to place the contents exactly on the assigned screens.
    Or is there a simpler way?
  • Hello @CitizenCaine,

Sorry, I don't understand.
    If it's a user request, you could create an idea on Uservoice (it help us to keep track of them, and see their popularity).

Best. Philippe
  • My workaround was to use canvases not assigned to an output as spacers to give me the distance that I need and a large canvas that covers all of them and copy layers to place the media in the actual screens.  This can be achieved in advance screen layout but since there are no precision controls, that I can find making accurate representations of screen layouts.  I am concerned about having to redo a lot of preproduction work on show site.

I need more distance between screens than CitizenCaine's example, which looks awesome by the way, but fewer screens.   

A frequent senario in my world, mostly corporate  shows, is a center screen, with multiple blended projectors, and multiple outboard screens that need to be a part of the big picture.  As a result I need 50, 100, 1000 or sometimes more pixels between screens to make the time of items traveling from screens feel logical.  This is easy to achieve in Watchout.  If the advance screen layout had a way of readily making these screens precisely, for pre production purposes, it could be easy in Millumin.

All that being said... Millumin is very close to being able to take many of the corporate shows currently done in Watchout. It is gaining a little traction in the US. Many people are talking about it but only a few are using it. 

I am preparing a few items for uservoice. 

• Hello @Trigg,

In advanced outputs (and also in layer mapping) you can double click on the bullet and enter a pixel value to enter pixel precise value. Please see this tip for more infos.

Is this filling your requirement  ?

Regards

--
    AntoineM*

• That does help.  In advanced layout the screens have outlines but I have to put a pixel map of the screen layout,  at reduced opacity/locked, in the timeline and dashboard to define the screens.

• Hello @Trigg,

If I understand your point well, couldn't you use mapping surfaces like in this tutorial ?
    The same way as in advanced output you can edit the pixel values of the corners .

I understand that this method could be a little fastidious because you will have to copy/paste all the corner values. But it will save you bunch of time regarding the use of the locked screen layout.

In a "perfect world", the solution could be creating mapping surfaces directly from the advanced output layout.
    If you are interested in this, do not hesitate to fill an uservoice.

Regards
    --
    AntoineM*

• That might just be the fix I am looking for. Thank you for your time.

• @antoineM The mapping approach is certainly one solution to the problem described by @Trigg. The issue I can envision here, in a corporate environment, is that applying media to a mapping surface does not allow to maintain aspect ratio. We would need to be able to fill, fit OR stretch the content to match the mapped surface.

The other issue that arises with the example from earlier in this thread is when a client requests that content only shows up on one or two of those monitors. This means the content must span monitors but be restricted to those outputs. In WATCHOUT this is done with stage tiers.

It would be excellent to find workarounds to these issue while still maintaining aspect ratio.
  • Hello @michaelvoccola,

The mapping tool adapts the perspective of the content, so it matches the surface on stage.
    Of course, if the content and the surface don't have the same ratio, it should look stretched. But you can fix this via the slice-editor, to remove pixels on sides, so the look becomes correct on stage. See this tutorial.

Regarding comparison with Watchout's tiers : Millumin is working differently, but we could say that Watchout's tier = Millumin's canvas.
    So in your case, you could create an additional canvas, then use a "copy layer" to simply get some content from the main content, in this very special canvas.

Best. Philippe