Sneak preview : brand new dashboard

edited July 2012 in LAB

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hi. This is the last big change before Millumin 1.0.
    Tell me what you think about it.

In brief :
    • everything is now media : especially Syphon and Input sources
    • the "page" concept is replaced by the "board" concept (more Ableton-like approach)
    • create as many composition as you want
    • you can play with Syphon and input sources in timelines !
    Bye. Philippe.
  • ça à l'air dêtre bien.
    questions:
    - est ce qu'on peut déplacer un media d'un layer vers un autre avec un simple drag? 
    - peut on déplacer plusieurs media à la fois?
    -peut on déplacer l'intégralisé d'une colonne vers une autre?  
    - dans le nouveau dashbord ou se trouve la barre de progression du media en cours de lecture?

Wish list:
    - highlight column  quand on clique sur le bouton play/stop de la colonne (avoir toute la colonne grisée ou de couleur)
    - un mode ou affichace time code pour le temps écoulé et temps restant d'un média dans le dashboard
    un bouton de pause Global
    un bouton hide media/column en mode edit pour un mode répétition
    option de pouvoir vérouiller/griser ce qui a été déjà lu

• edited July 2012
    Hello @gael.

Sorry I've to reply in english :
    • Can I move a media from a layer to another layer ?
      YES

• Can I move several media at a time ?
      YES from the Finder to Millumin
      NO inside the board (you cannot select more than 1 cell)

• Can I swap columns ?
      NO, not for the moment, probably later.

• Where is "time position" panel ?
      Minimzed on the right.

Thanx for you feedback, I noted your ideas. Some are already in the pipe ;)

Best,
    Philippe

• I like it a lot, Millumin is day by day in every way getting better and better.

Keep the good work :)

Regards,
    Gregor
  • I like that live and syphon sources appear in the library and can be used in the timeline. Do the library get automatically updated when a new syphon server is starting or a new camera is attached, or do you add these sources manually?
  • edited July 2012

• Hello @hcgilje.

Syphon sources appear automatically in the library.
    Input sources such as camera are scanned at launch, but doesn't appear automatically : you need to click on the refresh button.

When a Syphon source stops (or an Input source is unplugged), it becomes disabled : you can still see them in Millumin. And Millumin is waiting to have them back.

Best. Philippe
  • Yeah, great work ! Congratulations !

To go further, do you have planned to do something like the following :

> set a fade time for each transition
    > set a delay time for each transition 
    Maybe it could looks like a transition in premiere or final cut ?
    Something like to draw courbes in the dash board.
    In this way we could achieve a global transfert (column change), with specific transition time for each media.

> have a fader to perform the transfert, like in a lighting desk, to perform a A/B transfert. No only a "GO" button (actually the forward button)

> possibility to name columns (corresponding to cue name)

------

in the approach of doing a cue sequencer, do you have in project the possibilty of storing different position, keystone, mask for the same layer. Something like the "palette" concept in a lighting desk.
    And to perform transition between them?

Best regards,
    B.

• edited July 2012
    Hello @benjamin.

Here are my replies :
    • set a fade time for each transition
      Not sure to follow you. Did you mean to have transition per column?
      In coming version, you'll be able to set up automatic transition per media, not only per layer.

• set a delay time for each transition / Something like to draw courbes in the dash board
      Transition could have more options. I'll study this question.
      But for the moment, it's not where I'm focused on.

• have a fader to perform the transfert, like in a lighting desk, to perform a A/B transfert
      Let me think about it. I noted this but it won't come now.

• possibility to name columns
      In my interface sketches, it was included. But I decided to remove it, so the interface goes much cleaner.
      This idea is still in the pipe, but I have to find an elegant way to put it in the interface.

• in the
      approach of doing a cue sequencer, do you have in project the
      possibilty of storing different position, keystone, mask for the same
      layer. Something like the "palette" concept in a lighting desk.

I see the problem you re pointing, and it's a huge one, especially to get a clean interface. I'm not keen of putting too much info in board : because it's hard to know how will be the final result.
      Composition are better to clearly see the end result, but the time management is very linear for the moment.
      I've to think much more about it, but my idea is to improve the composition concept so you could divide it into "slices". Then play and repeat "slices", directly in the composition player, or in a board.

Best,
    Philippe

• Hello @Philippe,

Thanks for your answers,
    Here are my replies :
    • set a fade time for each transition
      Not sure to follow you. Did you mean to have transition per column?
      In coming version, you'll be able to set up automatic transition per media, not only per layer >>> That's it !
    • set a delay time for each transition / Something like to draw courbes in the dash board
      Transition could have more options. I'll study this question.
      But for the moment, it's not where I'm focused on.
    • >>> In my opinon, there are four Time : Fade In, Fade Out, Delay In and Delay Out. Maybe we could have in the UI only a "global transition time", and right next, the famous "wheel" for option with this four time.

And i have another question/suggestion :
    In Live, you can set in a column if the sound will still playing or stoping when i will press go (enter in the master column).
    Is it possible to perform this in the new dashboard ? In mean, maybe a movie will change when i'll go to next cue, but others will still playing.

Best,

Benjamin
  • Hello @benjamin,

Yes, the behavior in the new dashboard will be the same as in Ableton Live : you ll be able to make your media "continu without change" from one column to another.

Best,
    Philippe

PS : sorry for the delayed reply, I ve been quite busy last days.