Midi CC

edited April 2014 in MAIN
Hi 

Any chance that the media in the dashboard could be controlled by Midi CC 0-127: Eg Midi CC 1, 0-127 . I currently have it controlled by Note on/off and you can assign a control change to the media but i don't seem to be able to assign 1 control change to a layer and use the variable within in that controller for media selection 0-127

Using note on/off works great but i'm quickly running out of channels.

Cheers

Comments

• Hello @fusion,

Sorry it's not possible.
    You can submit an idea on Uservoice, or you can use the developer-kit to write a script that does what you want.

Best. Philippe
  • Hi  Philippe

If there is a script that can be written how would that tie in with Millumin? I can send the cc messages as required but at the moment Millumin won't let me assign them. EG Notes to dashboard assign, Different CC messages also assign cc1 to media 1 cc2 to media 2 etc but it won't let me assign cc1 0 to media 1 or cc1 1 to media 2  individually the same way as notes as so on.

Cheers 

Matt
  • Hi Philippe

If there is a script that can be written how does this tie in to Millumin.

I'm looking to be able to assign the control change and it's variable directly to the dashboard in the same way as you can with notes, Not as a whole on the layer.

I can send the variable e.g. cc1 0 to media 1 and cc1 1 to media 2 but it won't assign as it only sees the entire controller and not the variable. 

Cheers 

Matt

• Hello @fusion,

You cannot use a MIDI control to assign the whole media selection for one layer.
    Please see the examples in the developer-kit : it explains easily how to control Millumin via OSC.

Write a script that receive MIDI, and depending on the value, sends the right OSC message ("/millumin/layer/media/1/0" when CC1 1, "/millumin/layer/media/2/0" when CC1 2).

Best. Philippe
  • Hi Philippe

Thanks for the answer.

Any reason why Millumin has not been written to directly assign mid cc1 0 / cc1 1 etc (Variable) to the media for a layer. 
    You can directly assign notes and CC to the media individually in devices but why not the variable in a static form without a script .
    Is this not something that could be built in directly in to Millumin. 

Could you please point out where i am to write these scripts. I send midi to my Millumin machine via bonjour , I only use midi, I had a look at Millbug but i can not seem to enter a custom command, Media start only seems to go to column 30. Do i now need to get third party software which will allow me to enter these scripts and talk to Millumin.

Cheers 

Matt

• Hello @fusion,

Media's MIDI mapping can only be done at the "cell" level, not at the "row" level. If needed, please submit an idea on Uservoice, it helps us to keep track of user requests.
    In the developer-kit, there are various examples showing you how to control Millumin via OSC. Some technologies requires third-party softwares (Quartz Composer, Processing) , other don't (Ruby, Python, ...) .
    Here is a video for Processing.

Best. Philippe
  • Hi Philippe

Thanks for the response.

I may not of explained very clearly what i am trying to do.

I only wish to map the midi at the cell level(media). I don't need to map at the row level.(the layer all in one)

Eg: The same way you map a midi note manually i just wanted to map a controller variable to the cell to free up the notes. So instead of the note triggering the media the cc variable triggers it. I wanted to map the variable manually. I'm looking at it as just a lot more triggers within that midi channel. The controller i use allows me to use cc variables in the same way as notes, Just as triggers.

If i use 16 layers mapped with notes 0-127 i run out of channels and notes. if i could replace the note on with cc Variable mapped manually  one buy one from the devices menu to the cell this gives me a massive amount of (Triggers) per midi channel to trigger media.

16 cc's with variables manually mapped to the media on 1 channel leaves a huge amount of controllers for other things and bearly touches that midi channels capabilities.

I can map a note , and a cc to the media manually but could not map the variable inside the cc , 
    This is what surprised me.

I'll put a request on the user voice and try to explain a bit more clearly.

Cheers 

Matt

• Dear @fusion,

I think I get what kind of functions you want and admits that it could be very useful.
    If I understand well, you would like, for example :
    - Control Change Channel 1 / 1 / from 0>50: launch cell 1 of layer 1
    - Control Change Channel 1 / 1 / from 51>100: launch cell 2 of layer 1
    - Control Change Channel 1 / 1 / from 101>127: launch cell 3 of layer 1
    Is this what you mean?

Cheers,

Vincent

• Hi Vbaudron

Not really looking for that. It's very simple the way i would like it . I would just like to be able to manually map the CC variable to the cell instead of the note.

Control Change 1 / 1 / 0  to cell 1
    Control Change 1 / 1 / 1  to cell 2
    Control Change 1 / 1 / 2  to cell 3  ETC 

At the moment you can map the CC to the cell but it uses the entire CC as the trigger , 

Control Change 1 / 1   to cell 1 (No variable)
    Control Change 1 / 2   to cell 2 (No variable)
    Control Change 1 / 3   to cell 3 (No variable)

This then uses 127 controllers per channel for a layer with 127 media in it. If you could map the variable you could use one controller per layer and still have 126 controllers left with in that channel.

Cheers 

Matt

• Hello @fusion,

Ok, since the begining I correctly understand your idea : you want to assign a MIDI message to control the whole "row" (and not only a specific "cell").
    It's not possible in Millumin (and I din't think it's possible in other software such as Ableton Live or Modul8). The "variable" doesn't define a different message : "CC 1 / 1 / 20" or "CC 1 / 1 / 32" is still the same MIDI message. So Millumin (and other software such as Ableton Live or Modul8) interpret it as the same message through MIDI learning.

In consequence, my solution is still the same : you could code a script or a mini-application (find inspiration in the developer-kit) to interpret the "variable", to launch different media depending on it.

Best. Philippe
  • Hi Philippe 

I don't want to assign anything to the whole row, I just wanted to assign the cc variable to the media , One By One CC variable to the Cell. CC variable to specific cell.

With Modul8 you  create a module say a knob assign that to the media bay and control it via CC Variable to pick different media.
     This uses Modul8's own internal commands so i suppose that works in a way the same as the OSC commands in Millumin.  
    I like keeping everything tidy when using data so sending notes to Millumin and control data via another Bridge seems very untidy to me.

IF Millplug would allow for more cells to be addressed via the OSC commands i could easily do it this way but at the moment it only goes to 30 on the media . 

It's no major issue at the moment as i run 16 layers midi mapped with 127 cells in each across 16 channels but have now runout of notes if i wish to control other systems from my controller.

Thanks for the response. 

Matt
  • Hello @fusion,

Controlling the whole "media row" with a solo CC midi message, or using the "variable" to know which media to start, is the same thing : it's a non-standard use of MIDI.
    Standard use is : one MIDI button/fader = one UI component.

This limitation can also be seen Ableton Live or Modul8. And as you hightlighed, you can code your own module for Modul8, to override this standard behavior. Simple module coding, but necessary.
    Am I clear enough ?

So the solution I proposed is the same : code you own module/script for Millumin, to override the standard behavior (don't use MilluPlug, it won't do what you want). Not a big deal, but necessary.

Best. Philippe
  • Hi Philippe

I'll have a look at scripting for these commands. 

Thanks for the help.

Cheers 

Matt