Kinect issues

Hi everybody,

I have some issues with my new Kinect for XBox 360.
Just after the launch of the software (2.17.p), Millumin is pretty slow and the capture image of the Kinect is freezing.

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Comments

• Hello @PPHHMM,

Can you say me more about your installation ? Are you using an USB extension with your Kinect ?
    Did you try to make it work in a clean Millumin project ? Do you use another software to run the kinect at the same time ?
    Do you have the same problem with your kinect on another mac ? Did you try with another kinect ?

Sincerely your,
    Nicolas
  • Hi,

I tried one Kinect on one Mac, without USB extension. No other software at the same time...
  • Hello @PPHHMM,

What is the model of your Mac ?
    Could you try to test your Kinect on another Mac  ?

Sincerely your,
    Nicolas
  • I found a solution with my Kinect device.

For now, I want to extend my signal. Do you have any feedback about this ?

In fact, I want to glitch the image of the camera (like file in attachment) for erasing the face of an actor.
    Can I use a traditional camera (without any problem, i.e. SDI conversion) and an effect ?

Thanks

• Hello @PPHHMM,

What was your solution for your Kinect device ?

Generally, it's a bad idea to extend the the USB cable of the Kinect because of the instability of this device. But you can find a discussion about it here.

You can find a tutorial here about how to plug a camera on Millumin with device such as BlackMagic or AJA. And because those camera while appear like media in Millumin, you could use Millumin effect on it.
    But I don't understand why you need to use such camera to erase the face of an actor.

Sincerely your,
    Nicolas
  • Hello @PPHHMM,

We just release a new Beta version : the 2.18.d. Do you still have your Kinect problem on this version ?

Thank you for your help,
    Nicolas
  • edited April 2017
    Hi,

Erasing the face of an actor is an artistic orientation. But it's impossible to extend the USB wire. Any feedback about this ? I've seen some shows with this device but I don't know how they do this...

For the community : do you know where I can buy some thermal camera device with a video output I can import into Millumin ? Or how can I add a glitch effect or a thermal effect on a regular camera ?

Nicolas : I don't know where to download the beta.

Pierre
  • Hi @PPHHMM

To download the beta version of Millumin 2, you have to have to check "subscribe to beta versions" in Preferences/Update as described here.
    If you want to extend the Kinect USB wire, I advise you to read this post from the NiMate forum.
    Millumin 2 doesn't have pre-build glitch or thermal effect. So I invit you to make your own with one of the tool of the Millumin dev-kit.
    If you want to hide the face of an actor, you could try to create an interaction with the head detected by the Kinect, and bind it to a layer position with a black media. Some hint to make this in this tutorial.

Sincerely your,
    Nicolas