Chase/ Stobo

Hello. Can someone tell me how to program a Chase Effect or Strobe program? Essentially, I want various lights in different colors to do fun things with just one cue. This question has probably been asked or answered somewhere already. In that case, I would appreciate a link to it. Or is there a tutorial available for this? Thank you!!!

Comments

• Hello @TheaterderMitte,

Why not using a timeline to do so ?

Best. Philippe

• edited July 9

Thank you @Millumin ! Yes, that's a very good idea. But is it possible to link the timeline to the light layer? So, for example, that I jump to the timeline at light cue 27, where the lights do lots of colorful things and then I switch to light cue 28. Do you know what I mean? If you could do that, you could (I think) program a real theater show for lights.

Thank you!

You can import such a timeline inside the dashboard, so you could execute the "chase" when needed.

Please note that if a timeline embed in the dashboard has conflicts with a state transition (because both try to control the same light with a light-layer for example), HTP (Highest Takes Precedence) will be applied : this is always the highest DMX value that will be sent.

More info in this article.

Best. Philippe

• @Millumin Oh wow!!! This is really great!!!!! I love this program!! It is very intuitive.

Now I have one more question: Do you have a tutorial oder sheet how to create new fixture for the Open-Fixture-Libary? Because I cant'f find all the lights I am using and for me it is not that easy to create a new fixture.

Thank you!!

• Sorry, we do not have such a tutorial. You might ask Open-Fixture-Libary for such a tutorial, as it could be interesting for everyone in the community using this standard.

• edited August 17

@Millumin I asked them, but got no answers.

You don't happen to know of a site or way to get .json files that are not in the open fixture library? I find it difficult to program more complicated lights completely correctly. I know that QLab programs lights, but only if you use/purchase the program. And I much prefer working with Millumin :) Or maybe there is a possibility from your side to cooperate with QLab to get more .json files for lights. I hope these were not too many and too confusing questions. Thank you! 

Open-Fixture-Libary website is the reference for OFL fixtures. I do not recommend you to download .json file somewhere else.

I understand that creating an OFL fixture can take some time, but this format has been well designed by the OFL team. And when done and validated by OFL team, there is only clean fixture for this light and you got the right interface (modes, faders, lists, colors, ...).

What is the mlodel of your light ? Are you it is not already defined in OFL ?

Best. Philippe

• @Millumin

Okay, thank you. Yes, I would like to use only the OLF anyway. I tried to program a few simple lights, but didn't quite make it and I'm afraid they won't finish programming. See for example here:

https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/open-fixture-library/pull/4099

https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/open-fixture-library/pull/4098

https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/open-fixture-library/pull/4095

Lights that I can't find but could use would be:

- Color Imagination: Smartwash 1910

- Color Imagination: NF Fresnel 200 AZ-F

- Pro Lights: Display COB FC

- Pro Lights: Studio COB FC

And in the future, maybe some more complex moving lights.

I will try to program more and learn this better, but it would help if the lights you start programming could be finished programmed. I know it takes a lot of time, I just realize that sometimes I get in line. And I think the OFL team is also often overwhelmed because they are too few and there are so many lights. Maybe artificial intelligence will be able to take over some of this in the future... ?

Thanks anyway!!!