Generating Timecode

Hi there.

Are there any plans to implement generating timecode from within Millumin as you can in Qlab?

I have a client who insists on multi-output video playback with timecode (for lighting) and they insist we use Qab...I hate using Qlab.

I know I can use QLab for Timecode and Millumin will follow but it would be much simpler if I could output timecode and video from Millumin

Many thanks

Comments

• Sorry...I should've mentioned that they insist on LTC timecode.

• Hello @graphicsop,

Next beta of Millumin will have a "timecode" media able to generate LTC or MTC.

In the meantime, you can simply generate your LTC file from here.

Best. Philippe

• Perfect...Thanks Philippe.

Kind Regards Patrick

• Hi, when you you plan to release the next beta? generating MTC directly from Millumin would be super great!

• Hello @albertospad,

Millumin V5 beta is out with timecode generation. More info here.

Best. Philippe

• I would urgently need the Timecode generator. I downloaded Millumin 5 and it's running, but I can not find any manual or description of how to make the MTC generator run.

It seems like it should be found in the Library, but my library is completely empty, except for my first testvideofile. Do I need to seperately download library elements ? Shouldn't they have all been installed together with the app itself ?

All I can see is the little screenshot in your Beta-5-announcement ...

but HOW do I get it active / running ?

Please help ! Thank you.

• Hello @LukasBerlin,

First of all, Millumin V5 is in beta so do not use it in production unless you took some time to test it with your current project.

Secondly, there is many ways to generate a MTC timecode. You can for example use our TimecodeClock application here.

Lastly, if your library is empty, you should have a popup displayed when launching Millumin informing you that you are probably running Millumin from the DMG file, so macOS prevents it from loading all the media in the library. This could also happen if you copied Millumin5.app from one computer to another one. This are all security rules of macOS ... In this case, copy/move Millumin5.app in the /Applications folder and you should be fine.

Best. Philippe

• Dear Philippe

Thank you for your quzick reply.

(1) Reg MTC: the timecode clock-application you have sent a link to seems to be a stand-alone app (?)

I need an MTC running according to the timeline in Millumin, starting/stopping/loopin according to the audio and videofiles in the timeline, meaning in sync with the videoplayback.

I want to use a second computer to be able to output 4 videochannels simultaneausly. My main machine (macmini) can only output 3 ch, so I want to add my MacBook with a videoplayback app on it that runs very well as an MTC slave, I have done this often. I would like to have Millumin as the TC master, not slave, for several reasons. The playback/the show is very simple (3 videochannels, no mapping, fairly small resolution, no fx) and I am ok with the risk of using a beta, as once it's running it would run only once and as a loop for 3 hours.

So how could I get the window INSIDE Millumin that you are showing in your beta-realease-Website ? (the pic above ?)

(2) Reg. Library: I used the regular installer and did not do a "dirty" install by dragging the app. It is residing inside my "applications" folder (in German it's called "Programme") and I do not recieve the dialogue upon startup that you have mentioned.

Still, the library is completely empty except for the folder "Generic" with only "Browser" sinside

• Hello @LukasBerlin,

Yes, TimecodeClock is a standalone application.

Could you take screenshot of Millumin's Preferences / Addons ? If the problem persists, could you please send us a TeamViewer session (via email of course) ?

Best. Philippe

• Here's something interesting: when I run my Millumin 4 - there is a lot of shaders, Programs, Generic Stuff in my Library.

• Millumin 4.16e

• Reg. team Viewer:

Will be travelling from Tue to Fri, so not back in the studio before Sat (24.) evening. I was hoping to do a test today/tonight, so I can inform the people from the venue tomorrow reg. cable lengths, network cable-positions etc, but I suppose today it will be too late for you for a TW-session (?).

I could imagine it is a problem of the Millumin 5 Beta-installer ? Erspecially when there is older versions installed on the same machine ? Perhaps solvable without TW session.... like via re-install with Millu4 zipped for instance... ?

• Hello @LukasBerlin,

We found the cause of your issue : this was a small bug in the compilation chain of macOS/Xcode. We reproduced the problem, and so far, Apple fixed it just recently.

Next update of the beta (5.11.c) will be fine. In the meantime, we sent you a special version via email.

Best. Philippe

• Dear Philippe

Thank you for the new installer, the library and the TC prefs window appear now !

I put the generator on the timeline, but where ist the MTC outputted ?

I also can't find a preferences window to regulate that. Is the standard via Ethernet ? On the Mac I am using this is no problem, but some windows pc's need a little app for this AFAIK. But I do not receive any MTC yet on the other end it seems.

Or is it an analogue SMPTE outputted via the headphone jack or a possible audio interface connected ?

Thanks again for your help

• Hello @LukasBerlin,

We published 5.11.c beta that allows you to feed back your MTC within Millumin : be sure to activate IAC driver in macOS Audio MIDI Setup utility.

This beta also allows you to choose the MIDI destination for your MTC.

Best. Philippe