Newly released Obsbot TinyCam 4k not working well

Hello.

I've just bought the newly released Obsbot TinyCam 4k, and I've been trying to make it work with Millumin.

It's a small PTZ Webcam, which is working well with softwares such as Zoom, Skype, Photo Booth, etc.

But when connected to Millumin it gets really choppy, freezing after every few seconds. Impossible to use with 4k or Full Hd, and a little bit better when reducing it's quality, but quite bad still...

Has anyone tried it already? Would it be a problem with Millumin not accepting this specific camera, or something with the camera itself? As I mentioned earlier, it works well with other softwares.

And a last question. Being a PTZ camera, is there any way I could control it straight from Millumin? (zoom and position).

Thanks,

And a Merry Xmas!

Luis

Comments

• When asking about it in the Obsbot community, someone commented this:

"This is because very few programs use the newer Media Foundation Class code. This also happens with the Logitech Brio when using 4K, and some programs (like vMix) detect the Brio and offer an MFC driver… but it doesn’t detect the OBSBOT 4K"

• Hello @luisluis,

A few questions :

• does the camera work fine with Quicktime (I mean in 4K) ?
    • what is your version of Millumin ? 4.12.c ?
    • what is your version of macOS ? 11 Big Sur ?
    • did you try with another computer running macOS 10.15 or lower ? Do you see a difference ?

Millumin V4 supports PTZ via NDI, but your camera does not seem to support NDI, so it will not work, sorry.

Best. Philippe

• Hi Philippe,

• The camera works perfectly with Quicktime in 1920x1080. And it's almost good in 4k; it freezes for a millisecond once in a while.
    • 4.12.c
    • I'm using a MacBook Pro 2019, running macOS Monterey 12.1
    • If useful to know:

2,6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2667 MHz DDr4 

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB + Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

• I haven't tried in macOS 10.15 or lower. I will check it tonight.

It's working ok in VDMX (better in 1920x1080). For now what I'm doing is connecting it to VDMX, sending it to syphon and bringing it to Millumin...

If connected directly to Millumin, it only works properly if I downscale it all the way to 640x360.

• And no worries about the PTZ control!

Thanks once again!

Luis

• Hello @luisluis,

Could you compare with Millumin V2 and V3 (you can download such versions from your account page) ? Do you see a difference ?

Best. Philippe

• Hi Philippe,

• So, in macOS Monterey (MacBook Pro with specs above), it happens exactly the same in Millumin 3 and 4. I couldn't note a difference.

The cam quality is ok only in 640x360, and gets worse by increasing the quality. Quite bad in 1920x1080 (choppy, laggy, freezing...)

• I tried it in an old MacBook air, not so powerful, running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, Millumin 3, and the quality is actually better! In 4k there is a long lag (around 1 sec), but no dropped frames or freezing. And in 1920x1080 it lags just a little bit, but it's not that bad.

Best,

Luis

• Hello @luisluis,

We released the update 4.12.d with a fix for M1 machines. Millumin 3.18.p also contains this fix.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best. Philippe