OSC via Milliplug to Quarts Composer effects?

edited February 2014 in MAIN
hello,
i'm trying to use Milliplug to send OSC from Max to paramters of my quartz composer effects on a millumin layer.
here's how i have things set up:

but it doesn't seem to work.

any advice?

ali

Comments

• Hello @Batchku,

First of all, you change param1 (blending) for "/1/record" and param7 (record) for "/2/record" : it doesn't seem right.
    Secondly, be sure you send the right value : "0" to stop recording, and "1" to start recording. Use the gear-icon and set up both the min and max values to "0" or to "1", if you want a separate OSC message to start or stop recording.

At last, if you use OSC in Max, why using MilluPlug ? You should use directly OSC messages for Millumin.
    For example : "/millumin/layer/effect1/param7/0    1.0"   (for more information, see the doc).

Best. Philippe
  • hello,
    the direct from max solution is working.
    the GUI in millumin for the effects does NOT update; this was making it difficult to tell if thing were working.

on the other hand, i find layer numbering to be confusing; what happens if i take the default "layer 1" and rename it "layer 2", and then make a new layer? are the OSC layer numbers always the original creation order layers?

thanks
    ali
  • here's a followup question:
    how can i address my quartz composer parameters with OSC if the QC composition is placed in the layer in the board as opposed to being used as an effect; here's what i mean:

ali
  • I see now; there was an error in the OSC doc, under "If the media is a Quartz patch, you can control the parameters :"

it says:
    • /millumin/layer/media/quartz/param1 0.5
    it should say
    • /millumin/layer/media/quartz/param1/0 0.5
    so all better now.
    thanks philippe!

ali
  • Hello @Batchku,

Ok, I updated the OSC doc.

To reply to to your 2 other questions :

- for performance reasons, the GUI of the Quartz effects does not update in real time (when changing a parameter via OSC)

- you can display the layer numbering by check the option in Preferences/Board

Best. Philippe