Mac M1 and Millumin

Hello, does MILLUMIN already work on the new MAC M1? Has anyone done any tests? Thank you !

Comments

• Hello @Maxime,

From our help page here :
    You may have heard that Apple is now using its own processors, the first
    one being called Apple M1. Within two years, Intel processors will not
    be used any more.

Millumin relies on various libraries and not all of them have been
    ported to Apple M1 yet. Therefore, Millumin is only optimized for Intel
    machines for the moment. However, in our tests, Apple translator Rosetta
    brings decent performances.

Of course, we will do our best to optimize Millumin for Apple M1 as soon as possible.

Our product Glypheo is already an universal application (Intel + M1).

Best. Philippe
  • edited December 2020
    Hello @Millumin

i also ask myself the question, once the optimization the apple silicon chips made, do you already have a vision of what the backward compatibility will be and of the compatibiliy between the two architectures (switch the same millumin project from an intel chip to an apple)

Basically, i want to acquire a second mac and i wonder if i should take the new chip or stay on the same as my first...

Thanks!

• Hello @Damien,

Millumin wil become an universal application, both optimized for Intel and Apple M1. So yes, it will remain backward compatible with older machines (Intel ones I mean).

Best. Philippe

PS : keep in mind that the current Apple M1 computers (MacBookAir, MacBookPro and MacMini) are limited to 2 video outputs. Of course, you can get more but you would need additional adapters such as Datapath FX4 or a Thunderbolt hub (see this video).
  • Hello,

And for now, egpu doesn't work on Apple M1...

Best
  • Hello all,

The current beta of Millumin (3.19.m) is optimized for both Intel and Apple M1.

More info on this post.

Best. Philippe

• Hello Philippe,

I am currently looking at setting up for a museum installation with 10x1080 HD TV Screens, The gist is I have multiple videos that will play in different screens on different times, sometimes all at the same time sometime a big image split across multiple screens etc. The show we estimate at 10-15 minutes and loops throughout the day as a triggered show when people step into the room . I am looking at using an Imac M1 with 16gig ram with 1 tb SSD drive and a thunderbolt expansion chassis with a decklink quad 2 which gives me 8 outputs additional. so I will have exactly 10 screens with one mirrorring my main screen when the show is playing. Either it will be a triggered show or it will be played once in the morning and will play in a loop throughout the day it depends on the stability of the system. I hope this will be possible , am looking for a mac solution on the get go because for me its easier to troubleshoot (less moving parts) .. am ok with 3G SDI video. I hope you can guide me if this is indeed the way to go. I feel this is the most cost effective and flexible solution out there if it works . Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Dave Hukom

Systems Designer / Integrator

• Hello @judgedave,

Such a configuration can only output to 9 TV screens. Indeed, the iMac only supports one external display. Unless you use the iMac's own screen as a display (not sure it is what you mean by "one mirrorring my main screen when the show is playing").

Also do you want "frame sync" output, so you can display "a big image split across multiple screens" ? Or are you ok if there is one frame of delay between yoour outputs ?

Best. Philippe

• Philippe,

Yes 9 screens will suffice.. seems that we are going to the direction of having 8 displays. Yes would need frame sync because there will be times when the cove screens will display 1 long image. Would this be safer in terms of sytem resources than daisy chaining different millumins via timecode? like having 2 separate imacs to run the entire show.. or is that overkill ? Just thinking of options. Yeah reading the own screen mirroring sounded strange hahaha. Thank you for the quick reply, Thanks.

• Hello @judgedave,

If you need frame-sync, you would need to synchronize your Decklink Quad 2 with a sync signal, such as provided with a Blackmagic Sync Generator.

By "frame-sync", I mean perfectly in sync : same image at the same frequency/phase (exact same image on your TV every millisecond). You may or may not need such an accuracy, it depends on your content and requirements.

This said, the 9th output coming from the Thunderbolt will not be in sync with the Decklink Quad 2. Mainly because the Decklink Quad 2 has a larger buffer than a Thunderbolt output (so it would always be 20 to 30ms late).

About timecode synchronization : it would not be frame-sync, but this may be acceptable in your use case (between 5 and 15 milliseconds of latency in theory). I suggest you to run some tests.

In my opinion, it would be cheaper to buy MacMini M1 (instead of iMac M1) in this case. Indeed, the performances would be exactly the same.

Best. Philippe

• edited October 2021

Philippe,

Thank you for your very helpful response I would look into the Macmini Solution . Lastly, the 16gb ram will it help the stability of the system? is this option worth the investment?

And any issues on hours of continuous playing of a looped program?

SIncerely,

Dave

• Hello @judgedave,

I have a MacMini M1 with 8GB of RAM, and it works fine.

Not aware of an issue. If you use Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter, be sure to buy an official one from Apple's store, as we had report that "generic and cheap" adpater has issues.

Best. Philippe

• Philippe,

Great, thanks. Will document the install and post here on updates, this is really new territory for me having been setting up using Watchout for so long, and have been wanting to find a Mac solution. Really great to hear from you and wish me luck.

Regards,

Dave

• Judgedave .. how did the m1 performed in Your setup..

im looking into updating a hackingtosh Xeon machine .. and replacing with m1

mini base model og MacBook Air . When use with decklink quad 2

how is the sync between surround multichannel Sound playback through an audio usb 2 audio card, and decklink ..is it needed to make latency compensation ?

hope to learn from Your experience

cheers jeppe