Millumin and 24 Full HD screen

Hello,

I'm working for an university research platform. We have a room with a large screen (24 monitors 55" Full HD) driven by an Analogway Acquilon C video processor which allows us to display contents of 11520px x 4230px. I use Millumin V3.19.o to manipulate my contents. I have a Mac Pro 2019 Intel Xeon W 8 core processor at 3.5 GHz with a Radeon Pro Vega II DUO graphics card that allows me to output 6 4K signals and cover the entire surface of my screen

- We are currently working on optimising video quality with researchers who need to manipulate 30 000px wide files and zoom into the image. Do you know why I have an error message in Millumin telling me that the file can't be imported because its size exceeds the maximum resolution allowed by my hardware while the OS displays them without any problem with Preview?

- It seems to be missing a few pixels in the bottom left corner of each output. There is no such problem when the computer is turned on, it appears when Millumin is launched, do you know why ?

- When I launch the Interactions menu, I can't interact on the position and the scale of my media. Is this normal?

- Finally, a question related to the Mac. When the computer is turned off, if I turn it on with 1 control monitor and 6 4K monitors, the Mac refuses to turn on.

If I unplug the 6 4K monitors, it starts up automatically.

Do you know if Apple blocks the startup when there are too many monitors? Do you have any ideas on how to get around this problem?

Thank you for your answers.

Best.

François.

Comments

• Hello @FrancoisB,

To answer your questions. Please note that you use a beta version of Millumin.

We are currently working on optimising video quality with researchers who need to manipulate 30 000px wide files and zoom into the image. Do you know why I have an error message in Millumin telling me that the file can't be imported because its size exceeds the maximum resolution allowed by my hardware while the OS displays them without any problem with Preview?

This is the expected behavior, since your graphic card cannot manage textures above 16384x16384 resolution (as stated in the message).

Of course, the image can be downscaled and displayed smaller (as you can do with Preview). But the graphic card cannot display such a 30 000 pixels wide image, unless it's splitted into several chucks. Which is not optimal for performances.

In brief, I recommand you to use image with a size of 16384x16384 at max. In the future, we may downscale automatically the image, so it can be displayed in Milllumin directly.

It seems to be missing a few pixels in the bottom left corner of each output. There is no such problem when the computer is turned on, it appears when Millumin is launched, do you know why ?

Indeed, this is a debug information in the current beta. This will be removed in next update (3.19.p).

When I launch the Interactions menu, I can't interact on the position and the scale of my media. Is this normal?

This looks like a bug we found on macOS Big Sur only (most recent macOS). Do you confirm you run this macOS version ?

We are currently studying this problem, but this is only a display issue : you can click on the field, even if it's not paint in green, and bind an interaction.

When the computer is turned off, if I turn it on with 1 control monitor and 6 x 4K monitors, the Mac refuses to turn on.

This seems odd. Did you contact Apple's support about this issue ? This may be a bug fixed in recent update of macOS.

Best. Philippe

• thank you for these precisions Philippe.

To bring some details: :

- I was using until last week the last version 10.15 Catalina and I already had the problem with the interractions. I migrated a week ago to Big Sur and I still have the problem

- Since migrating to Big Sur, I no longer have any problems when I switch on, the Os launches correctly.

Best. François.

• When I launch the Interactions menu, I can't interact on the position and the scale of my media. Is this normal?

For info, the issue has been fixed for next update (official 3.18.i and beta 3.19.p).