MaxMsp / Millumin / Osc

edited November 2013 in MAIN
Hi all,
just a feedback...

I'm trying to connect max msp jitter to millumin via osc.
My aim :
- control millumin via max msp, so they are interacted each other (millumin sends data to max, and max sends data to millumin)
- store value in general cue
- recall cue, with a global time, manually (like two fader A/B on a lighting desk) or automatically.

In this way, it could be able to have a relative timing system : so for exemple a movie can displace for position 1 to position B in 5 sec, whatever media's time. That's a complement to the timeline fonction (where time are fixed, and not relative).

For the moment, 
- OK for send/receive osc
- OK for storing and recalling
- TO DO : manual and automatical timing for recall.

I'll probably share this word in the futur.

Philippe, two question :
> Is kind of functionality planned for millumin ?
> In osc / managing media : max can send to millumin X media in Y layer. But, millumin sends actually the media of the current layer, so i'm not able to have the "snapshot" of wich media are in use in each layer. It is normal ?

Thanks again for all works :-)

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hello @benjamin,

Here are my replies :

• Is kind of functionality planned for millumin ?
      I'm working on a more flexible system to manage time in the timeline.
      But probably your system is very complementary.

• max can send to millumin X media in Y layer.
      But, millumin sends actually the media of the current layer, so i'm not
      able to have the "snapshot" of wich media are in use in each layer. It
      is normal ?

I'm not sure to understand your question, but there is an hidden OSC message : '/millumin/ping'
      If you invoke this message, Millumin will reply by sending you several OSC messages that describe the state for all the layers. Hope it helps !
      Anyway, I updated the OSC documentation :)

Best,
    Philippe

• Hi Philippe, 

I'm trying to do, sort of, the same thing as Benjamin. I use Max to trigger layers in Millumin when a certain audio level is reached, and this works perfectly. But I also want to trigger certain files in VDMX (which are kinect controlled by OSCeleton in their turn) when I play the next column in Millumin.

In the docs it says that I can control which column I want to stop or play, and I had thought that Millumin would send an OSC message when I would select a column. But Osculator isn't receiving that message. It receives a whole other bunch of messages, but not directly one that relates to that that specific column is being triggered. Should Millumin send this message and I'm I doing something wrong perhaps? 
  • Hello @mark,

Indeed, Millumin does not send OSC message when starting a column, it only receive the order to start or stop a column.
    However, soon, I will add more OSC messages and this one will be added too (in fact, I'm working on a mirror-computer feature, over TCP/OSC).

Best,
    Philippe
  • How soon is soon? Sorry to be so blunt about it, but I have a show coming up on the 29th and this OSC message would greatly reduce the load on my computer. :)
  • Hello @mark,

Soon as now :)
    Please check the OSC documentation to discover 3 new messages :
    • /millumin/board/columnLaunched    int
    • /millumin/board/columnStopped    int
    • /millumin/composition/cue    string

Best,
    Philippe