is there any workaround to sync 4 x 4UHD output from a MAC Studio Apple M1 Ultra ? TIA

is there any workaround to sync 4 x 4UHD output from a MAC Studio Apple M1 Ultra ?

Thanks in Advance !

Comments

• Short answer: no.

• Hello @keithkeat,

It is not possible to sync outputs from the Apple M1 Ultra's GPU.

You could use a Blackmagic Decklink 8K Pro inside a Thunderbolt chassis, but your would be limited to 4 x 2160p30 (not 4 x 2160p60 because of the Thunderbolt bandwidth). In this case, be sure to run the Decklink as a whole 4320p30 output to get frame-sync outputs (use video-routing in Millumin if needed.

Best. Philippe

• Hi @Millumin , @ectoplasmosis & @keithkeat ,

We just tried to output 2 UHD signals from a M1 Mac Studio via Thunderbolt and two UltraStudios 4k Minis. The sync in the Blackmagic devices is locked (also visible in the output (E2)) for a long time it works brilliant - but the two signals lost reference for a few seconds every now and then. As soon as a new column starts in Millumin, the sync returns after a few seconds.

Do you know the problem or have an idea?

Best. Lukas

• Hello @lukas_tech,

Synchronization between several Blackmagic devices is not a fix : this is a feature.

Indeed, everything should be both synchronized at software level (Millumin) and at hardware level (Blackmagic Decklink or Ultrastudio). We are still working on the first thing, and the second thing can be achieved with sync-signal, so there is nothing to code about this.

Keep in mind that this is a something that is very advanced, because all Blackmagic outputs are working asynchronously on the computer's side (even if on the Blackmagic's side, this is synchronized via a reference). To my knowledge, I am not aware of any software handling this properly (except maybe expensive media server such as Disguise, but I did not test them with Blackmagic devices).

We hope to come back to you in the next months. Thank you for your patience.

In the meantime, using a Decklink 8K Pro is a solution, because it can be used a giant 4320p60 output (that you can then use with a video-routing in Millumin for example).

Best. Philippe