Using Aja Io 4K Plus to sync multiple outputs

Has anyone had any luck syncing multiple 4k outputs from a Mac Studio using the aja 4k plus?

we are new to Millumin and trying to sync a very wide display that will appear on an LED wall without tearing.

my thought on workflow is thunderbolt out to aja (synced) to display processor (also synced) we would have 3-4 of these outputs and would need them to be in sync and not tear on the display

thanks

Comments

• Hello @jp12687,

I never used 3 such devices on a Mac Studio, but I do not think they would be frame-sync. Indeed, frame-sync is required on several level : at device level (tri-level sync) as well as at software level (Millumin does not check this for AJA devices).

However, the Blackmagic Decklink 8K Pro is able to send 4 x frame-sync 2160p outputs. Keep in mind that the Thunderbolt chassis limits the resolution to 2 x 2160p60 or 4 x 2160p30. In a MacPro 2019, you can reach 4 x 2160p60 (4320p60). See this thread for details about configuration.

Best. Philippe

• Thanks we are looking at the new Mac Studio ultra which can do up to 4x 4k and 1x 6k output and are trying to sync all those outputs.

could we use 5 decllinks to do this? How would your recommend getting us actually 4x 4k ours and not having to go down to 16x HD ourts?

• Hello @jp12687,

The built-in Thunderbolt/HDMI outputs of the Mac Studio are not guarantee to be frame-sync, unfortenatly.

We never connected 4 Decklink to the same computer via Thunderbolt chassis. It is a lot, but possible I guess, however, this could be a nightmare with cables.

The best solution is the one above in my opinion. I mean : only one chassis and 4 splitters (for every SDI of the Decklink). You can get ones at Blackmagic for a cheaper price than a Decklink 8K. Why using multiple Decklink would be better ?

Best. Philippe

• Ok so we are saying a deck link 8k pro could output 4x UHD signals gen locked. But they would be in 12g- this would be 4:2:2 video vs 4:4:4 of HDMI 2.0 is DP 2.1?

sadly this issue might keep me with a PC based solution I can put a genlock card in.

• Hello @jp12687.

According Blackmagic's website : "8, 10, 12-bit RGB 4:4:4 in all modes up to 8Kp30 DCI, and 8, 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 in all modes.".

Another solution is to use a processor (such as a Barco E2) to split the 6K output of the Mac Mini.

To finish, we are working on syncing multiple Blackmagic cards all together, but this is not ready.

Best. Philippe

• @jp12687

What's the resolution on the LED wall you're trying to push to? and how many LED processors are controlling it?

@Millumin

The maximum amount of pixels the Barco E2 will take on a single port is 4096x2160, depending on his wall's resolution, he might be able to do this with a custom EDID instead of SDI.

• E2 can accept up to 8192px wide inputs via custom EDID and correct Gen2 cards.

• @ectoplasmosis

4096x2160 = 8,847,360 pixels

8192x1080 = 8,847,360 pixels

the widest EDID the E2 will load is 4096 wide.

Custom Format and EDID are not the same thing.

getting an Apple Silicon Mac to push 8192x1080 on one port, good luck, tho might be possible with some displayID hacking:

• edited November 2022

I do this (EDID greater than 4096 pixels wide over a single connector) on E2 all the time.

As mentioned, this must be done using the correct type of Gen2 input card and connector (DP1.2), and the 'DisplayID' flag must be set when creating the EDID via Custom Format.

The Apple Silicon machines we use see these EDIDs perfectly, and will output up to 8192px width over a single connector no problem, via many different types of USB-C to DP1.2 adapters/cables. No need for any software/plist patching or anything on the Mac side.

Feel free to try it yourself.

• Interesting as Barco says not to use DisplayID block on single plug inputs.

I have tried the DP 1.2 Non-compliant Device option but never had any luck on apple silicon.

• It's an undocumented use-case, but it does work reliably. I do this regularly to achieve greater than 4096-wide inputs via a single DP1.2 connector with Apple Silicon Macs.

• edited February 2023

Hi ectoplasmosis,

Could you please show me an EDID file here? I'm trying it right now with the AnalogWay EDID Editor. Then I could look at it with it.

I can't get over 4096 pixels in width either. Even though it would be the same pixel clock if I took an assumed resolution 7680 x 1200 as in a UHD signal.

Can't find a solution for this in the EDID editor.

I would find it a very interesting solution to use customized EDIDs in an E2 or Aquilon that are just above these said 4096. Without the need to use an AOI afterwards.

Best Citizen-Caine

• Have attached an attachment for this problem here.

• here we are still resisting the i7 with eGPU.