Millumin playback M1 spec/performance

seeking guidance on M1 spec with millumin,

looking for a guide or advice - M1 performance using millumin with regards amount of simultaneous hd/4k prores playback vs different M1 specs (I.e. 16/24/32 GPU core & 32/64gb).

Any advice/comment would be appreciated

Comments

• Hello @azman,

I guess this would be hard to find someone that has all these machines, performing benchmarks for our special cases. But let's have the considerations below, and I hope this would help you to understand a bit what M1 Pro/Max is about.

First of all, M1 Pro and M1 Max machines are powerful machines. I guess a lot of people covered this on tech blogs, Youtube, ... From the benchmarks, the 32-core GPU is close to a Radeon Pro Vega 56 or a Radeon Pro 5700 XT, which are desktop high-end GPUs. Of course, these are just benchmarks, but this gives an idea "how powerful" they are.

Secondly, do not expect to get twice performances when going from the 16-core GPU to the 32-core GPU. This is rather a 50 to 60% leap.

Thirdly, I don't think that 64 GB over 32 GB would make a big different when using Millumin. When doing very heavy FinalCut, this may be, but 32 GB should be enough. Also, the M1 chips use the RAM differently that Intel chips, mainly because all logic components are "very close" to each other. In brief, M1 chips do more with less RAM. That's why iPhones have far less RAM than Android ones.

Lastly, both the M1 Pro and the M1 Max chips have ProRes playback acceleration. Apple advertised that the M1 Pro can decode up to 20 x 4K in ProRes-422 at the same time (30 for the M1 Max).

Best. Philippe