MTC over local network

Hello,

I originally have an audio background so QLab has been my tool of choice for years, but I'm the first to admit that it's not the best at video playback. From everything I've read I think Millumin will be my best option for an installation project that I will be working on next year. But now I need a crash course in Millumin. My questions are:

1. Does Millumin have the option to send timecode? Or only receive it? Can one session be a master that other computers slave to?
2. Is MTC reliable over network MIDI? Or should I really be looking at LTC and feeding a separate audio line to each computer on the network?
3. Is it possible to trigger cues to start at a certain time (ie 7pm, 8pm)? Otherwise I'm happy to send OSC commands from QLab to achieve this.

Comments

• edited December 2020
    Hello @jem_remy,

To answer your question :

1. Does Millumin have the option to send timecode? Or only receive it? Can one session be a master that other computers slave to?
    No, Millumin only receives timecodes (MTC or LTC).
    But you can generate a timecode via our TimecodeClock app here. So there is a master and one or more slaves.

2. Is MTC reliable over network MIDI? Or should I really be looking at LTC and feeding a separate audio line to each computer on the network?
    I would say no : using a network makes the latency variable. Go LTC t.hat have a constant latency between machines.

3. Is it possible to trigger cues to start at a certain time (ie 7pm, 8pm)? Otherwise I'm happy to send OSC commands from QLab to achieve this.
    Yes, see our tutorial here (in brief, create an interaction to do so).

Best. Philippe