Scale media

Hi guys,

Might be an idea to be able to scale/position the media as well, not just the layer.
So this way i can keep my timeline clear.

Imagine you have 15 media and they are all different size, i need 15 layers so my timeline it's not clear and visible anymore.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hello @Pap,

You can do so with keyframes ("hold" keyframes if needed). Also, maybe you could use the option "normalize".

I guess that having 2 scales, one for the layer and one for the media, would make the edition of your timeline even more complex.

Best. Philipp
  • Thanks Philipp

This is what you mean by keyframes ? 
    This is actually working and does what I need.

Thanks!
  • Yes this is what I meant.
  • With complex projects it would be handy to be able to configure each clip manually as a user choice.
    In example, Resolume let's you adjust Comp settings, Layer settings & Clip settings each individually.

• edited December 2019
    Hello @vjkatza,

The main difference is that Resolume doesn't have keyframes (timeline) or states (dashboard). So such settings become less important in Millumin (that have a different philosophy).
    Moreover, these keyframes/states seem to do the job for @Pap.

Of course, if you can provide a use case (a story where such in-depth settings could be needed), we'd listen at it : feel free to submit it on Uservoice (it helps us to gather feedback from other users, and check if it they also need this).
    But for now, we prefer to keep the interface tidy, so it's intuitive.

Best. Philippe
  • Well I just needed that last Thursday at an event, & I'm talking about it from a show control app point of view.
    About half an hour before the show started (and as everything was already programmed & ready) the director brought me a flash drive with about 15 jpeg images where he wanted me to put at various places across the show.
    As almost every image resolution was different it was unpractical to assign a separate layer for each image or create a separate timeline for each...
    Luckily I had photoshop installed so I cropped & resized all the images & assigned a separate layer for that, but this was very uncomfortable & could be easier with a resizing option.
    Needless to say Millumin is Great! 

• Hello @vjkatza,

Thank you for the use case.
    If the "Soft Crop" effect would resize the image, would it help ? If so, you could apply this effect per media.

Another solution : if the value of the "slice-editor" could be saved per column, would it help ?

Best. Philippe
  • Thank you philippe,
    I believe the 1st option would be acceptable and is more practical if it would allow a constrain ratio option.
    It would be awesome if it can combine a resize/scale option & also a position option, this way we could manage multiple objects at the same layer.

• Hello @vjkatza,

All right.
    I created this idea on Uservoice, since we're for now focused on other features.

Best. Philippe
  • edited August 2020
    I would also be very happy if this feature would be implemented. Please, at least add this to the effects toolbox - maybe as a Transform effect letting us scale and move on X/Y with lock aspect ratio tick box. I just purchased the software (coming from Isadora which I now use in combination with Millumin since Millumin has wonderful timeline and fluid playback) I'm a little surprised it's not possible at all to scale or move clips individually, since this is so basic in Isadora. 

Jacob
  • Hello @jaconiel,

In most case, you would prefer to use the "normalize" option rather than setting a different scale for each media. Click on the "gear" icon next to the "scale" parameter to activate it.

Also, you can change the "scale" over the column by creating "states" : more info on this tutorial.

Best. Philippe
  • I also join the discussion but maybe I'm a little off topic, but it would be nice to have an option to be able to move and rescale a media without applying the change to masks.

So I agree that being able to move, rescale media per column would be nice, but doing so without changing the mask would be great. My user case is when I'm using mask in inverted mode and I want to expose another part of the media, I have to move it and then replace and/or rescale the mask where it was.

aroom
  • Hello @aroom,

If you need a mask that do not change its position (in most case it is what the user wants) : simply create a layer at the top, add a black color-card to it, then create your mask.
    Once everything is in place, you can lock this layer so it won't bother you.

Does it make sense ?

Best. Philippe
  • Hello Philippe,

I already saw your tip from one of your post on another thread. So I used black masks in the early days of the production and it's effective but I encounter some problems when I was trying transition between 2 different layers: the black would fade a little bit faster than the media and I would have the projection leaking on all the stage.

I could mitigate this with manual transition and adding a wait time, but it was a bit annoying.

So at the end I found it cleaner to have the masks embedded directly in the media. I can live with the fact to have to move and rescale masks when moving a media though, not a big deal.

thanks

aroom
  • Hello @aroom,

If you have a global mask, you should not have transition on this top layer : there is only one media, a black color-card.

On another side, we're thinking about adding a "global mask" feature in the Output popup. I guess this could be pretty useful for a lot of users.

Best. Philippe