TIMELINE EXPORT NO EFFECTS ?

HI IM TRYING TO EXPORT A 7680X1080  

and im using 4 layers devided into full resolution .. im programming in timeline some flicker effect in timeline like strobe effect using opasity automation from data track into iac midi and back into millumin, its done that way so i can use the same automation track to control a sub fader in luminosus to control EOS light software light intensity.

Is it the IAC thats causing the problem.. or is it just not possible to export using effects and automated filters/opasity etc.?

hope someone can clarify for me :-)

cheers jeppe 

Comments

• The export feature isn't meant to be used with data-track.
    Indeed, it simply processed every frame of the timeline, and build a MOV file. A bit like in After Effects or FinalCut. But it does not play the data-track.

But you could track the "opacity" of your layer, then copy-paste keyframes into it.

Best. Philippe
  • Hi can you explain how to do that : But you could track the "opacity" of your layer, then copy-paste keyframes into it. what i tried is make a smart way for me to make an open production setup, where i can edit light and video (effects ) in timelime, And do the soundscape via timecode in Logic.  when im dome my original plan was to Bounce sound and copy into millumin. And render the timeline video. later male a playback setup where the computer acts more like a player that sends cues to light desk. 

Now it's looks like I have to do the effects and opasity controls.. Realtime during show ?

cheers jeppe c

• Hello @jeppecohrt,

From what I understand, you use a data-track to control both the opacity of a layer (via an interaction taking the signal of the data-track), and a light in Millumin (once again with an interaction taking the signal of the data-track).
    The pro : everytime you adjust keyframes on the data-track, it automatically affects both the opacity of the layer and the light.
    Am I right ?

As explained in my previous message, this "trick" won't make you able to export your timeline as a MOV file, with all the opacity variations. Simply because exporting a timeline won't process the data-track (only the audiovisual elements).
    Does it make sense ?

Consequently, if yoou want to render your timeline correctly, you have to avoid using such a "trick".
    I mentioned about copying-pasting keyframes (from the data-track to the layer's opacity), but this may not work, since MIDI data-track's keyframes go from 0 to 127, while the layer's opacity go from 0 to 100%.

I see 2 solutions to export your timeline as a MOV file :
    - if the number of keyframes is reasonnable : recreate your keyframe animation in layer's opacity (maintain SHIFT to snap)
    - use SyphonRecorder to record your timeline in realtime

I hope my explanations are clear enough.
    Best. Philippe
  • Hi, sorry I don't want to hijack this thread
    but, about exporting timeline.
    Can't it export as Hap ?
    Thx
  • missing attached file
  • Hello @hyll,

No, but you can convert your file later on to HAP.
    Please note that HAP is different than other codecs, and but we processed by a different pipeline. Feel free to submit an idea on Uservoice however, we'll see if other users are interested too.

Best. Philippe

• By the way, could you send us your project ? So we could check what you're exactly animating with your data-track.
    Are you looking for a standard animation, such as a sine or a ramp ?

Best. Philippe
  • Hi Philippe

Thanks for reply.. You understood me correct.

I must say Hab codec is very CPU  efficient compared to Prores .. my load dropped by 50 procent :-)  

I have prepared a test project 30 sec long .. but enough for you to see some part my setup and problem

Since timeline dosen't export data track automation , ill now made a export without , and intend to run all automation realtime then..

Now i discovered someting that looks to me me like a bug in the software ?

when i import the timeline to be played/cued  from Dashboard  not all data tracks are read correctly by Millumin , se the attack project.. For me dash board dosen't playback the realtime automated opacity data tract, but its reading the data track because its send out play back my sub fader in Eos software.. I have tryed replicating the exact same project settings in both beta version and the official 3.11r  and both do the same  .. Thats really a problem for me.

My final goal is now.

during programming.

1 computer located on stage- Millumin + Luminosus + Presonus vsl1818 soundcard on a

Hackingtosh running 3 projectors +1 monitor build into retro tv. 

Connection to computer 2, Via ethernet /switch  , soundcard out Spdif (running in 50 meter bnc kabel)

Computer 2 located FOH , -Logic sending out timecode mtc.  for creating surround sound soundscore.. Soundcard presonus vsl 1818, input to record from selected videos played in millumin on computer 1, via spdif.  

Computer.3  PC laptop located FOH. -ETC EOS nomad+ control wing-  input via Midi over ethernet RPTmidi + osc send out from computer 1 (luminosus)

Computer 4  at FOH only for remote desktop  during programming - tightVNC viewer  to operate computer 1 (millumin)

When all sound and videos are scored, 

Running show setup is simplified.

Computer 1 on stage , connected with a local ethernet to FOH- 

this computer is running Millumin and play back imported surround sound audio files+ running automated objects controlled via dmx entec mk2 from millumin.

Computer 2 Eos Pc laptop , controlling lights and receiving msc Go's from Millumin and sending Artnet  back to trigger millimin to start dashboard cues.  

Hope it make sence :-)

Cheers jeppe c.

• I found a workaround .. since the data track running from the timeline is sending out via internal midi to cue the light ( flicker/strobe) I found out that I can place the opacity blocking image on a layer in the dashboard.. stacked with the timeline that way I get same result.

But I still do don’t understand why automation of internal stuff controlled with data track doesn’t work for me inside the timeline ... when the timeline is played from dashboard.. all worked well inside the timeline..

I also had big time problem controlling an start position cue via Osc Message for the timeline .. got play and pause etc.. working but could not get the think to start from zero in the timeline ?

Can you help me with the code message ?

Cheers Jeppe
  • Hello @jeppecohrt,

If you assign an interaction in a timeline, this interaction won't be used if you embed this timeline in the dashboard (or in another timeline). So this is the expected behavior, at least from the computer point-of-view.
    What you would need is something to create a "true" link between your 2 properties : the data-track's value and the layer's opacity. Maybe something like an "expression" (like in After Effects). But definitly not an interaction, that is quite a workaround with flaws as you experienced.
    This isn't a promise at all, but this is something we're thinking about.

Regarding "controlling timeline's start position cue via OSC" : I don't understand what you mean.
    Did you read this tutorial explaining how to use segments ?

Best. Philippe