EGPU + AJA HA5-4K : 4Kp60 HDMI into 4 x 1080 SDI - WILL IT WORK?

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my setup for a multi projector display in Millumin 2.

I am using a MacBook Pro 15" OSX 10.14.6 

I want to use an eGPU box with an AMD VEGA 56 card and then feed the 4K output from the external GPU into the  AJA HA5-4K converter to acheive 4 separate HD outputs from the AJA.

Am I right to think that Millumin will treat each of the 4 outputs of the AJA converter as separate projectors?

Can I then make a panoramic canvas in millumin and simply have a wide panorama of 4 projectors display the content?

Does anyone have any experience with this AJA converter?

Does the fact that the converter will be connected to the external GPU AND NOT DIRECTLY TO THE LAPTOP change the way Millumin will see it?

Kind Regards

Dariusz

Comments

• # Am I right to think that Millumin will treat each of the 4 outputs of the AJA converter as separate projectors?
    No, this will be detected as a 4K@60 display. Then this signal is splitted into 4 x 1080p60 SDI outputs.

# Can I then make a panoramic canvas in millumin and simply have a wide panorama of 4 projectors display the content?
    Yes, because Millumin will allow you to use "quarters" just as if they'd be independant outputs.
    See this example with a DualHead (very bad video quality, sorry).

# Does the fact that the converter will be connected to the external GPU AND NOT DIRECTLY TO THE LAPTOP change the way Millumin will see it?
    No. The principle of an eGPU is to behave exactly like a classic GPU.

# Does anyone have any experience with this AJA converter?
    Not me, but the device is like a evry simple Datapath Fx4.

Best. Philippe
  • edited October 2019
    Dear Philippe @Millumin,

Thank You for Your answer.

#No, this will be detected as a 4K@60 display. Then this signal is splitted into 4 x 1080p60 SDI outputs.

Do You mean the OSX will detect it as a 4K@60 dusplay or the Millumin? Because I know the system will do so, and that's my experience with Datapath FX4 too. However with the Datapath the Millumin let me choose the SDI outputs individually in the Millumin output config - see the pic below. This was a big advantage allowing for edge blending for example, as well as color matching of projectors... 

So I understand that it is safe to assume that EGPU + AJA HA5-4K will behave in the similar way?

If yes this is great news - the AJA is much cheaper then the Datapath...

Thank You and Kind Regards
  • I failed to attach the screenshot in my previous message regarding individual outputs, here it is again.
  • Hello @HenryForma. Yes, this is what I meant.
  • @Millumin
    Fantastic!! Great software!! :) Thanks! If I decide on this setup I'll let You know how it works in practice.