OSC feedback from Millumin

edited September 2014 in MAIN
Hello,

I'm a new user of Millumin, and I really like the OSC implementation.
However, there is a few details that I don't understand well for now… but maybe it's because I don't know much about the software …

#1 : Millumin sends a layerNumber message when creating/deleting a layer. Is it possible to have the same kind of message for the columns? I'm trying to have an distant interface for millumin, and it might help me creating dynamic interface that referring all the slots.
#2 : layerNumber only outputs OSC values creating/deleting layers if there is 7 layers maximun. If you create a 8th layer or more, there is no more OSC feedback… until I click on the main preview of millumin… each time I create/delete a layer I need to click on the preview for having the values dumped from millumin…
But if this work for the layer 8 to 15, and after no more OSC messages… 
#3 : it seems that effects doesn't have OSC in/out… So it seems impossible to animate effects parameters in real time… is there a workaround? that sounds difficult for me to avoid these kinds of things… that's really important for me…
I know that i can implement OSC in Quartz Composer Fx, but that involves a nightmare for osc/in/out… and I just want a sweet dream ;-)

Thank you for this nice software, I think that's just the begining of the way with it…

cheers,

renaud

Comments

• I just noticed that there is no osc/in/out for text parameters if you use a text layer…
    It will be wonderful to have them… at least "previous line" and "next line"… but all of them will be a great addition !!
  • ok, I've read the OSC doc a bit too quickly… "next and previous line" for text layers are available… 

About effects's parameters via OSC, I found the syntax to talk to the built-in effects, but that doesn't work with the Quartz effects that I add to the  ~/Library/Graphics/Millumin folder…
    Even if it works for the built-in effects, the syntax is a bit agnostic… My wish is to use the name of the effect and the name of the param… it will be a big step for my workflow. Indeed, I need to animate  some parameters more or less everytime  (blur, scale, masks, custom QC fx…) , but maybe there is a way to do that when I launch a column? or in another way?

Sorry if these first messages are a bit overloaded

best regards,

renaud
  • Hello @deuzair,

#1 : There is no OSC message to notify about creating/deleting a column (feel free to create an idea on Uservoice).

#2 : OK this is because OSC maximum size is reached (8k) and OSC bundles must be splitted; for your info, Millumin sends a lot of OSC information mainly to be able to synchronize with TouchOSC (all controls must be sometimes updated at once).
    Anyway, please check out this version with a fix.

#3 : There are OSC messages for effects (see documentation), and the ones for Quartz effects work, despite the value is not updated in real-time in the interface (for performance reasons).
    By the way, you should try MilluPlug.

Best. Philippe
  • Hi @Millumin,

#1 : I will do it… it's not a high-priority feature, but it will help me having a dynamic distant interface…  

#2 : tx for the fix… it allows me to prototype this dynamic interface… sounds really interesting…

#3 : ok, I got it with MilliPlug, thanks… But I would really love a nice and explicit namespace for the effects part… I will create an idea in UserVoice…
  • cheers,

renaud