OSC Launch Column Command-Must be string?

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and newish to Millumin, so thanks for your patience.

I'm trying to launch specific columns from an ETC Eos (theatrical lighting console) via OSC. According to the documentation I can find, I'm seeing that I can either send Millumin an argument that's a Float/Integer or a String, and it will yield different results- Float/Integer will launch the column that matches the column index, and a String will launch the column that matches the column name. Is there a way to force that to change?

On my show, we have many more lighting cues than Millumin cues, so I can't make the column indices match the lighting cue number in a reasonable way. I'm putting the Column Names as the number that matches the lighting cue, but my console will always send the cue number as a Float/Integer, so I can't seem to make those things match up.

Is there a way to specify that the incoming OSC action in this show will always correspond to the column name, regardless of what argument type it is? I did a show using MIDI a few months back and seem to recall this being an option there to listen for Both, Name, or Index.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Hello @pfalvi,

The type of the OSC arguments is very important with Millumin OSC API. And with OSC in general. Sorry, it is not possible to change the behavior.

A solution would be not to use the OSC API, but simple OSC message and create interactions for each column in Millumin. See this article.

Another solution would be to use Chataigne (or equivalent software) to convert the OSC arguments from int to strings.

Best. Philippe

• Hi Philippe!

Thanks for your response!

I just dug further into it and got it to work in a different setup somehow, forcing the conversion to a string. It may have had something do do with an older console I was using.

Thanks for your help!