Multi Screen Support

Hi Phillipe

I have a show where I need to use a 2 projectors and a Flat Screen Monitor (three HDMI outputs)

I understand the software is cable of supporting many screens.

I bought a Matrox triplehead2go - I have been having real problems getting it to work - for some reason, even though it lights up and powers from my macbook, it keeps cycling through - first recognised, then not, then recognised and then not...It's un-useable at the moment (its over a year old) - I don't know if there is a problem with the supplied cables or the unit itself or the fact it doesn't like a mix of old projector and flat screen TV.

ON your help page on the website you list recommended multi screen adaptors - but sadly some of those links are out of date. Also manufacturers have changed products, so it would be very useful if you could update the links to current products,

For example - this plugable product looks like it could do the job - but it's not listed on your recommended page links - so I am worried that I spend a lot of money and it won't be compatible - could you advise me?

Thank you

Tony

Plugable USB C Triple Display Docking Station with Laptop Charging, Thunderbolt 3 or USB C Dock Compatible with Specific Windows and Mac Systems 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Charging-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Specific/dp/B08WN2C4JK?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Comments

• Hello @TonyMoore,

The TripleHead2GO is almost a 10-years old device, and drivers provided by Matrox tends not to work properly on newer machines. Did you contact Matrox support about your issue ?

Also, did you check this compatibility sheat (as we suggests in our article) ?

About the Plugable dock you mentionned : this is very different than the TripleHead. Indeed, this dock only adds more ports to your computer, this is not a splitter (like the TripleHead). It is also based on on DisplayLink technology, which requires special drivers.

We updated our article here, so the difference between these various devices can be better understood.

Best. Philippe

• Hi Phillipe

I have given up on the Matrox

I am now using a Dell D3100 and Display link which seems to work perfectly and is very easy - I am running two projectors and an LCD Screen - however I have now added a 4th LCD screen (running from a Dell D6000) that I have mounted in portrait mode- I have adjusted the display output in Mac System Preferences by 90 degrees for this screen - however I am only getting the screen displaying media horizontally across the middle - it's not using the whole screen in portrait mode

I have looked at old posts from you here about changing the Millumin output to 1080 x 1920 - but that changes the entire output and messes up all the other screens - how do I tell Millumin that I only want ONE output to be 1080x1920 and the rest to be normal.

I am trying to create an effect, with a hood and material around the screen - of a talking head, but I can't make the head large enough to fill the screen nor get it to cover from top to bottom...

Trying to fix this for a show in about a weeks time, so your help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Tony

• Hello @TonyMoore,

A canvas can use multiple multiple outputs, but the resolution of each output should be the same.

In your case, you can either use multiple canvases, or use a video-routing to create a custom map for your outputs.

Best. Philippe

• Hi Phillipe

I think I am getting there - I used Video Routing to create a new slice - that seems to work - but then it crashed - and error message was sent automatically - I am using a 4 port 2019 Macbook pro on Big Sur

Something I mentioned before is a problem where Millumin will suddenly stop saving a file and say its locked - this is now happening on TWO different macbooks everytime I sue the software - I can save the same file for a while and then for no apparent reason it locks.. I don't have any other software running - and this message I have never seen in any other software - it would appear to be some kind of bug happening only in Millumin - do you have any advice?

Happens when I try to SAVE - so then I have to SAVE AS and make yet another file

• Hi Philippe

I think I found the problem with the "Save" challenge - Below is a fix for using ADOBE that gives same error message - I have tried that ( adding Millumin in Privacy settings) and so far this seems to be working

I am running my show from an external drive -

All the best

Tony

===========================================================

"If the files are on the Desktop or on an external drive, it might be a permission issue. This is not Adobe's fault, rather it's Apples. Please try the following (please excuse that I'm showing the focus application being Bridge, this issue crops up for Bridge users all the time).

Go to your System Preferences and select Security and Privacy (found in the top section). Now click on the Privacy setting (last tab). Now click on the lock on the bottom left and provide your Administrator code.

Now select the Full Disk Access option and click on the "+" symbol. This will bring up the standard Mac Open window and let you add any application you want or need to have full access. Look for Bridge, select it, it will now appear in that window and make sure it's checked. Next go to the Files and Folders option and do the same thing as above (although there's nothing to check, just add. Close everything down and see if that makes it all work.

• Hello @TonyMoore,

Thank you for the info. I do think it is a permission problem on your computer. Check that you do not have "cleaning" application runing in the background, and maybe reinstall macOS from scratch.

Regarding your original post, is video-routing fitting your needs ? For info, the issue you had was a very rare case with audio-routing, that will be fixed in next update (4.16.b).

Best. Philippe

• Thank you Phillipe

all is working well with video routing

merci

tony