How to "insert"/"link" Timeline into Dashboard (Newbie question)

Dear all, I'm learning the ropes with Millumin and I can't seem to figure out what apparently should be a basic thing.

In the Help section, it says it is possible to link "A Timeline" to the main "Dashboard" (Here: http://help.millumin.com/?page=02_tutorials_advanced/timeline_link_canvas&keywords=timeline#pagePart) but unfortunately this post is not very clear in explaining how this is actually done. Could you perhaps illuminate me on this point?

Optional further questions...the reason I want to link/insert a timeline in/to a Dashboard is because:

a) I need to be able to route a 22-channel output wav file, and I seem to only be able to do this in the Timeline mode, am I right? Strangely I cannot do audio-routing of a wav file when I'm on Dashboard mode

b) I need to work on Dashboard mode because only in dashboard mode I can have a continuos "time" message being sent via OSC, and not on Timeline, Am i right?

Thanks!!!

G.

Comments

• Hello @GPai,

This tutorial is about creating a custom canvas for your timeline. This is not what yoou are looking for I think.

If you want to use a timeline in the dashboard, simply drag-and-drop the timeline from the library to the dashboard.

To answer your other questions :

a) I need to be able to route a 22-channel output wav file, and I seem to only be able to do this in the Timeline mode, am I right? Strangely I cannot do audio-routing of a wav file when I'm on Dashboard mode

No, you can do so in the dashboard as well. Be sure to play your media in the dashboard, then click on the button "audi routing" in the properties on the right of the interface.

b) I need to work on Dashboard mode because only in dashboard mode I can have a continuos "time" message being sent via OSC, and not on Timeline, Am i right?

Yes indeed : if you activated the "OSC API" in the device-panel (CMD+K), Millumin will send OSC message on a regular basis to keep you updated about timeline or movie progresses.

Best. Philippe

• Thanks a lot Philippe!

A last question on the topic: I thought perhaps the "timeline" was linked (in real time) with the Dashboard but it's not the case.

Is there anyway to include some sort of "markers" along the visual feedback (the time unfold) when reproducing via the Dashboard?

• Hello @GPai,

You cannot add such "markers", but you can split your timeline in "segments". You can even use asynchronous timelines, see this tutorial.

Best. Philippe

• Hi Philippe,

A very simple question, but strangely I cannot figure it out: How do you delete/remove a layer?

Thanks!

• Hello @GPai,

Use the delete key : ⌫ or ⌘ ⌫

Alternatively, you can select the "remove" entry from the menubar "list".

I f you are beginning with Millumin, I recommend you to read the first tutorials to get the basics.

Best. Philippe

• Thanks a lot! I had seen that page, but had forgotten about some details, and also the importance of the "edit mode".

One last question! (the point is that Millumin is being super useful for me thanks to its audio multichannel routing and the OSC possibilities, but I don't use so much its Column based, non-synchronous model)

So, the question is: Is it possible to, within one Column, keep two items (in my case Video and Audio) ALWAYS in sync? The only way I can keep them in sync is starting over from the beginning, but if I want to go somewhere in the middle of the work (it's a 25 minute full segment) I cannot have both layers in sync, which is inconvenient (I haven't found the key to this... is there one? would be so good)

Thanks!

• Hello @Gpai,

In this case, you should create a timeline with both your video and audio, then import it in the dashboard.

Best. Philippe

• Thanks!! I'm starting to get the hang of it

• Philippe, Is it possible that when using that procedure: importing a timeline with both video and audio into the dashboard, you use more CPU than you use if you straight set up video and audio as two layers on a column in the dashboard?

• Hello. Obviously, this requires more CPU as there are more operations to be done. However, this is very small and you should not notice it. Best. Philippe

• I'm getting there... sorry to keep coming back.

How do I save a (complex) Multichannel Routing Audio scheme which I made (the option seems to be there, but I don't succeed in "storing" the layout that I set up.)

• Hello @GPai,

You can create a "layout" for your audio-routing : see the first property in the audio-routing popup.

However, you cannot save a "free" layout into another layout. You have to select/create a layout first, then adjust the audio-routing (if it was your question).

Best. Philippe